Oracle Database Support Engineer
This role is within the Software Support Engineering Team. The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced environment providing technical support to mission-critical business operations and systems.
This multifaceted role will be responsible for the following:
Oracle Database Administration (50%)
- Administer Oracle databases using best practices and industry standards.
- Act as a subject matter expert for database implementation and support.
- Provide enterprise-wide, Oracle database administration support for production systems.
- Provide DBA support with a high degree of customer service, technical expertise, and timeliness.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and optimize Oracle cloud databases that are core to the business.
- Avail DBA services to software development and data analytics teams, including database design, database generation, coding, and database production support.
- Provide development, testing, and production support. This includes creating primary database storage structures, designing and creating primary objects, modifying database structure as necessary for enhancements or performance, creating documentation, designing interfaces and database objects.
- Continually conduct health checks, proactively monitor, and carry out performance tuning on the databases.
- Plan and facilitate backup and recovery of the databases.
- Contribute to improving and creating DBA policies, procedures, and standards.
Tier-3 Support (50%)
- Add operational efficiencies by automating and optimizing data exchange processes with internal teams as well as our trading partners.
- Provide 3rd tier technical support for escalated issues, mainly data-related, that come in through the IT Service Desk.
- Analyze complex business problems or data requirements and develop optimal solutions.
- Translate loosely defined requirements, or business problems, to solutions.
- Follow up on assigned support tickets to ensure closure within the agreed SLA.
- Analyze support activity and provide recommendations to mitigate emerging or frequent issues to facilitate the best possible experience to end-users.
- Contribute to and manage troubleshooting and technical knowledge base.
- Work alongside project teams for successful implementation of initiatives.
- Work cross-functionally with other teams including but not limited to Data Analytics, eCommerce, Development, Infrastructure, and IT Service Desk to design and develop data and software solutions.
- Ready to be on-call support rotation for after-hours support.
The successful candidate will have the following background /experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, or a related field.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in Oracle Database Administration and/or Application Programming in an Oracle environment.
- Professional experience in Oracle cloud database administration.
- Hands-on expertise using Oracle 12c and/or 19c.
- Experience using Oracle Data Guard / Fast-Start Failover.
- Exceptional hands-on skills in SQL and PL/SQL.
- Significant experience with Unix-based systems and shell scripting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of customer service.
- Excellent team player and strong collaboration skills.